Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Manos Arrrrriba

Ok I got a little behind so I might just do some sparknotes!

The youth at my mom's church invited us to come cook Chop Suey (how do you spell that?) and hang out. It was great and we really enjoyed talking about the bible, eating ice cream, and listening to one guy play his guitar. I love how nights usually end up with someone pulling out a guitar.


That week I was finally able to go to volleyball. There have a lot of intramural teams (mass o menos) that practice twice a week. I loved getting to meet other Argentine students at my school since all my classes are just exchange students. I discovered how rusty I truly am at volleyball, but they didnt care. They thought my accent was funny and so they just always laughed. O and when I intrudeced myself as Fran one guy thought I said "Juan" so he called me Juan for a while until someone corrected him. I was just going to let me continue calling me Juan- I mean how many girls do you know names Juan?


Andreas' birthday was that week and so we went to celebrate at Maracuya and had a great time just talking and eating their amazing pizza.  Esther spent the night and this is what my room looks like when you try to put another mattress in it. Love it :)

The next day we went downtown to do a little exploring of Cordoba. We went to the Eva museum and then to a church whos name i can't remember.... The art museum was pretty cool, but the building was what fascinated me the most. It was the old house of the governer, then it was owned by the Perons, and they recently turned it into an art museum. I loved the huge staircase and the gigantic rooms and the tile floors.  (this is a view of the church from behind the pulpit. There were no signs roping it off......) 

That night we went to eat SUSHI at Yuri's house. It was wonderful and all handmade by Yuir. She taught us how to do it and we made some ourselves too. My mom here was so jealous and insisted I get the recipe. Now I know how to make it so get ready roomies- next year is going to be fun.


After sushi Esther Taylor and I went downtown to hang out with Any. We played telephone pictionary (of course) and then went dancing. I love the dance clubs here because the dancing is actually fun! And the boys dance too- cumbia and corteta are the two most common and are really fun and pretty simple. But we still stick out. O well

Side note, Missy was gone this whole week back to the states to see her best friend graduate. (her mom works for Delta) so we wanted to secretly hate her for leaving us but we couldn't cause she brought us peanut butter.

Esther and I FINALLY got our visas! It only took about 10 times going downtown at the crack of dawn, pero por fin- las conseguimos!

That week in taller cultural we got to do barrel racing! I felt like I was in a rodeo, it was great! They really have no rules down here. They just stuck us on a horse and said ok go as fast as you can and weave in and out of the barrels. O and try not to fall. Chau.
Love it.


And then we went downtown and went to an art museum. We kind of had to for class. I really dislike modern art, but Missy and Esther helped make it more entertaining.
That saturday was epic. I can't really do it justice so I will just give the highlights:
It started with an organized pillow fight in the park


They we walked through the park and talked to tons of different people. We tried some rope/cloth climbing and then some tight rope walking. I love how open everyone is here. We saw some people doing it so we walked up and asked if we could try. They gave us a tutorial and said go for it! 



then we went to SUPER PARK! We have wanted to go forever and finally got to go. We rode two huge rides and then did bumper cars.  You are never too old for the fair. Charlie captured one of the rides on video. Every couple of minutes Esther would say "manos arrrrrrrriba" and it became the catchphrase of the trip. The best is when Any starts to accidently smush the small child next to her haha
After that I got my first churro- basically a dulce de leche filled stick of hot dough. Delicious.






After that we went back to Any's apprtment to cook pizza and play games. We decided to see what Ivan's hair would look like braided. Not so manly......
And after that. at 3 in the morning, we went bowling. It was in the middle of a bar and super loud, but worth it. Got home at 6:30 in the morning and slept until 4pm the next day. I don't understand how they do it.  Pero a la vez, me encanta. Todo ello. 

No comments:

Post a Comment