Friday, June 17, 2011

I dont want to go home

We have been itching to go see Hangover 2 for about 2 weeks and we finally got a chance to go last Monday. Although it was pretty much exactly the same plot as the first one, it was still hillarious. And only 4 American dollars! Not too bad Arg.

We didnt do too much that week because we were getting ready for our week of finals. We went and cooked dinner at Missy's on Thursday, as usual. I am going to miss our weekly dinners with Dora!
That Friday we had a review for our history test during the day and then Missy Taylor and Esther came over to study/ take mate/ and hang out. After we ate our body weight in chocolate, Esther and Taylor decided that they wanted to go out. Considering that I was still in my workout clothes and Missy also was in sweats (actually she was in my sweat pants and sweatshirt because thats how we do it here. Whoever's house we are at has to lend clothes to everyone because bringing stuff is such a hassle! haha) but anyways Missy and I decide to stay in and watch a movie. We watched Going the Distance with Charlie Day (which is actually a really funy movie) but after watching that I am now addicted to It's Always Sunny. I may or may not be already be on season 4...   The next morning we made french toast and it was AMAZING! With dulce de leche y creama. Buenisimo.

The next night we went to the Paseo and all got hair wraps. I am really Argentine now :)


Mustaches....


That Monday started our week of tests. We had 4 tests in 4 days so there is not much to tell about that week. Thursday we went downtown and Taylor and Missy got piercings as a  bit of a reward for studying so hard.



Friday we woke up early and took a day trip to Villa General Belgrano. It is this little german tourist town about 2 hours from here. We have heard a lot about it and finally decided to take the germans with us and go. We got there about 11 and had coffee in this cute little cafe while the German had some more or less authentic german strusel. The shops were so cute and Taylor and I had a great time just walking around for a few hours. We had lunch at this authentic german restaurant, even the germans said so.  This little town is also famous for its chocolate, so of course we tried all the different flavors. We caught a bus back at about 7 and were home by 9.






That night Taylor Missy, Jessie and I went to an asado at Jonathan's house. A few of the guys from our volleyball team were there and we had a great time showing them shag, while they showed us cumbia y other danzas.

We went out dancing that night and it was really fun, as usual. Got back super late, as usual.

The next day, saturday, Esther and I went and took mate in the park. It was a beautiful day and we had a great time just talking. This little boy kept coming up to us, but every time we said hi, how are you? he would just run away.  Finally the little girl got enough courage to actually talk to us, and after she said hi and figured out we were nice, about 7 more swarmed us. They were like- you're talking in english!! It was so fun to be around kids again. Every time I spend time with children I am reminded how God's amazing love. The innocence that fills children, and their uninhibited spirit is incredible.



That night was the going away party the school threw for us. We got all dressed up and went downtown to a club they rented out for us.  We did our tango dance and our folklore dance. Tango. was. awkward. I danced with a kid who dropped the class the first week but since 3 out of our 7 boys didnt show up they made him dance. It was incredibly uncomfortable because he had no idea what he was doing, so we just ended up walking in a zig zag back and forth. Good times. :) The folklore dance was fun though! We got to wear the huge skirts and use silly string and confetti. I might have slipped on the silly string, but I dont think it was that obvious. I hope. We had a few people sing on stage and then they showed a slideshow of pictures from the whole semester. It was really sad because it finally hit us that we are leaving soon. Which believe it or not, I don't really want to come home yet! But after the slidshow they turned the music back on and we danced for a few more hours so we kinda forgot that we only have about 9 days left!

I think this picture embodies us pretty well...

Thanks Jeff...

The silly string/shaving cream they sprayed on us

Those skirts were extremely entertaining.

We got to hang out with the professors too- I love that aspect of this culture. The teachers were there dancing and partying with us- we are going to miss them for sure.


Next day, Sunday, I went with my family and Billy to have lunch at my grandparents. Sunday lunches are something I am really going to miss. I love the importance of family in the culture and how close they are. Not out of obligation, but they genuinely love to be around each other.

Monday I had an oral presentation and afterwards we went to Esthers to take mate and watch Twilight.  Taylor has never seen any of them and I bit the bullet and watched it again. Hate to say it, but I kinda like those movies now...

Tuesday we had our last bible study. I completely forgot and since we didnt have class, I as sitting in bed watching Its always Sunny when taylor messaged me to ask if I was coming. 15 minutes before it started. I freaked out a bit and rushed to get ready. Considering how long the bus takes, I decided to run there because thats faster. So I showed up out of breath and 30 minutes late. Awesome! But it was great as usual. The Lord blessed me so much with the Alexanders and our weekly meetings.

In the first picture Taylor thought she looked really short, so this is the second take where we helped her out a little bit :)

I had my last exam thursday and I'm done!! Well except for the 12pg paper and project we have to do for  Clemson due next week. But done with classes!
We had taller cultural clase yesterday and we made alfajores (really good famous argentine cookies) and rode horse. My favorite class by far. That night we went over to Silvias house for a pizza party. Silvia is our teacher for taller cultural and she is amazing. She pretty much has the life I want. Riding horses all day, cooking, and drinking mate. :)

My sister Candi got home yesterday from Switzerland and showerd my family with gifts. It was hilarious watching my two sisters fight over everything she brought home.

9 days left. Absolutely insane and I don't really like to think about it. Of corse I want to come home and see everyone, but I love it here and don't really want to leave....
[sorry these posts are always so long!]

No comments:

Post a Comment